The 98 meter long, 5195 dwt freighter Jia Hui collided with the 1430 dwt freighter Eifuku Maru No. 18 off Izushima Island, Japan. The Eifuku Maru No. 18 was carrying a cargo of steel from Nagoya, Japan to Ichikawa when it was struck by the bow of the Jia Hui which was en route to Busan, South Korea from Kawasaki. The Eifuku Maru No. 18 capsized while the Jia Hui suffered only slight damage to its hull. Five crewmen of Eifuku Maru No. 18 were trapped when the vessel capsized. Their bodies were later recovered by divers. One other crewman was reported as missing. The Japanese Coast Guard dispatched patrol boats and helicopters to the scene to search for the crewman.
The Eifuku Maru No. 18 was launched in 2011.
An attempt was made to take the overturn Eifuku Maru No. 18 under tow, but efforts had to be abandoned as the freighter sank. No reports of injuries on the Jia Hui. Authorities have dispatched three officials to determine the cause of the collision.
View video here
- Ships crash off Japan coast, killing 5, 1 missing (star-telegram.com)
- Cargo ships crash off Japan coast, search on for 6 crew members (thehindu.com)
- Six crewmen missing feared dead after cargo ship capsizes following crash with much bigger vessel (dailymail.co.uk)
- Cargo ships crash off Japan coast, 6 crew missing (nzherald.co.nz)
- Five die as ships collide off Japan (independent.ie)