The 700 ton freighter Mega One Triton went aground near the port of Grand Turk, Turk & Caicos Islands. The vessel went ashore on a beach near the port. No reports of damage or any pollution released. Authorities state the vessel will be assessed and refloated after rough seas from Hurricane Sandy subside.
The 340 meter long passenger ship Disney Fantasy suffered minor damage while sailing through rough seas in the Caribbean Sea. The cruise ship had furniture and passengers tossed as the vessel past near Hurricane Sandy. Reports state several restaurants on board had suffered damage, but no reports of injuries to the passenger and crew. Passengers were requested to spend the time in their rooms while the vessel passed through the rough seas.
- Disney Fantasy damaged by Hurricane Sandy (usatoday.com)
- Hurricane Sandy takes out her fury on Disney Fantasy (Video) (examiner.com)
The 180 foot long, 412 gt, three masted sailing vessel HMS Bounty sank in the Atlantic Ocean off Hatteras, North Carolina. The vessel was headed to St. Petersburg, Florida from Connecticut. The vessel had contact with authorities hoping to avoid the hurricane Sandy when it was caught in the storm. The crew of 14 were forced to abandon ship. The crew donned survival suits and life jackets and were getting into life rafts when three were swept into the water. One was able to get back to the life raft, but two others were missing. The Coast Guard was alerted when owners were unable to contact to the vessel. The Coast Guard dispatched helicopters to the scene and were able to winch the 12 survivors to safety. The Coast Guard has launched a search for the two missing crewmen. The HMS Bounty was originally built in 1960-1961 at Lunenberg, Nova Scotia for the MGM film “Mutiny on the Bounty“. More information about the vessel at www.tallshipbounty.org.
- HMS Bounty sunk (gnostalgia.wordpress.com)
- HMS Bounty in Hurricane Sandy path: Pictured: The dramatic moment U.S. coastguards pull survivors of HMS Bounty to safety after Hurricane Sandy forced them to abandon ship (dailymail.co.uk)
- Two remain missing after HMS Bounty sinks in hurricane Sandy’s path (guardian.co.uk)